Friday, January 4, 2013

Daily 5 Contract

I admit I do have some control issues when it comes to Daily 5.  I like to have record as well as hold the kids accountable for where they choose to go & what they choose to do.

Since implementing Daily 5 Math I have struggled with a way for the students to track what they choose through the week.  While talking with the students about our contract, one day before we go on break, an idea SMACKS ME IN THE FACE!!  {As all the good ones do, right?}

Here is the contract we were using for Daily 5 {RLA} . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Here is the new contract we will begin with on Monday . . . . . . . . . . . . .


I am LOVING the math section on the bottom.  We had a whole group discussion about our 'issues' with the contract we were using.  I tweaked it and then had some of the students proof the design & they had really good suggestions.  I love the ownership they now have in our Daily 5 new contract!

I copy the contract on color paper {only 9 copies a week since they are 1/2 sheet contracts}  The students are responsible for keeping up with their contract, on their clipboards, in their book box.  That strategy has worked for years!  We also have a basket that all completed Daily 5 work goes into throughout the week.  On Fridays we sort, organize, staple contract to the top, and send home this work.  This is another benefit of the contract.  Parent communication.  Since we take grades in R, LA & M in our district I give them a 'project' grade each week that is a 20% of  a test grade.

The contract is something that is ever changing.  This new layout is actually somewhere around the 9th tweaked version this year.  If we find a problem, we fix it for the next week.  I also switch out the  Word Work options as they wear out their novelty. 

I can't wait for a full week next week so that we can truly get back into our routine!!

Cheers!!


13 comments:

  1. Love your contract idea. I've been working on a menu for writing and word work. I haven't given over control to let them pick what they want to do when. Great idea to include the kids!
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Klass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the layout of your contract! I too have been trying out various ways to keep my kids accountable during Daily 5 without having so much paperwork. We have been trying out a bingo type board that they date stamp but I like the idea of this. Might need to make my own! Thanks for the idea!

    Renee
    The Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your contract idea! I haven't done a contract in over two years, but I think I need to start again. I have been wanting to figure out a way to make them accountable during Daily 5 but hadn't thought about the contract. Thanks!
    Mrs. Shelton's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love reading your blog! do you mind if I have a copy of your daily 5 contract with the daily 5 math on it? I couldnt download it. My email is Lan_Nguyen@live.com Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your contract for Daily 5--would you share your format so I could modify for my classroom?

    Thank You

    Renee Stewart
    First Grade Teacher
    Carver Elementary
    Greenville, Texas

    stewartr@greenvilleisd.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you share your format? Would love to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am first year in second grade . Love your contract.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the contract. Will you send to me pjohn0202@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    I love your contract idea! I am also struggling with the students being accountable in picking good, fit rotations for themselves! I would love an editable copy of it if you don't mind sharing. I am in 2nd grade this year and possible moving the third so I may need to tweak a few things. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Kirsten

    kirsten.axson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're sharing....I would like it too! :) teachingfran@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would so appreciate a copy of your daily 5 plus math contract...thanks! pwhodge1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE a copy too please!
    tsnyder@wcpss.net or luckystar0705@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your contract and would appreciate an editable copy! Many thanks
    smpre4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

><><><